In order to provide you with the highest standard of care, our practice requires personal information from you. This information covers basic details such as your name, address, telephone numbers and email address, however it is also necessary to obtain details regarding your general health and past medical or surgical events. Without this general health picture we are unable to plan your treatment properly.
We realise that it is important that you understand the purpose for which we collect details about your health, as well as how this information might be disclosed. Our practice respects your right to privacy, and in accordance with the principles of the Privacy Act 1988 and the guidelines issued by the Australian Dental Association, we would like to assure you that:
- Our practice collects information directly from patients, parents, carers or guardians.This may happen when you complete administrative forms, provide personal information over the phone or in our office. We also receive information from other health professionals involved in your care and from data you enter via the patient login on our website.
- This information will only be used by the treating orthodontist in order to deliver your care to the highest standards.
- We may disclose your health information to other health care professionals, including specialists we may refer you to if it is in context to your treatment. In that event, disclosure of your personal details will be minimized wherever possible.
- We may use parts of your information for research purposes, in study groups or at seminars as this may provide benefit to other patients. Should this happen, your personal identity will not be disclosed without your consent to do so.
- Your treatment records, x-rays/radiographs and any other material relevant to your treatment will be kept securely on our premises. You may request access to this information from Dr Melinda Barva. There will be no charge made for requesting this information but there may be fees levied to cover the costs associated with the processing of this request or the copying of information.
- We will take reasonable steps to ensure at all times that the details we keep about you are accurate, complete, relevant and up-to-date. We ask that you keep us informed of any changes to your personal information and medical history.
- We will take reasonable steps to protect your information from misuse or loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure by document storage security measures, access control for our premises and secure systems access for electronic data.
- You will be able to access and amend your contact details via a secure login on our website for the purpose of receiving appointment reminders. Your account and appointment information is also available via this login. You are responsible for protecting your password to prevent unauthorised access to your contact, account and appointment information.
If investigation is required we will keep you advised of progress. If staff are unable to resolve the matter, it will be escalated as appropriate to facilitate resolution.
- Our staff are trained to respect the Australian Privacy Principles at all times.
You can rest assured that your health information will be treated with the utmost confidentiality. Disclosure will not be made to any person not involved in either your treatment or the administration of this practice, without your prior written consent.
If you have any questions regarding the information we collect from you and hold in your treatment records, please do not hesitate to ask us. We are acting in your interests at all times.